Earlier this week Newcastle Unison Local Government branch agreed to publicise the petition for Shahrokh and Reza to their members.
Would your union branch support Shahrokh and Reza? Consider passing this motion and let us know if you do!
FREE SHAHROKH ZAMANI AND REZA SHAHABI
This branch notes
1. That Shahrokh Zamani of the Tehran painters’ union has been in prison since the start of 2012, and Reza Shahabi of the Tehran bus workers’ union since 2010, on charges of “acting against national security by establishing or membership of groups opposed to the system” – ie working to establish independent trade unions.
2. That both have suffered severe mistreatment, torture and denial of medical facilities in prison.
3. That both have gone on hunger strike in protest at their own treatment but also the treatment of other prisoners.
More info: http://freeshahrokh.wordpress.com
This branch believes
1. That more than three decades after Iranian workers toppled the Shah’s brutal dictatorship, they are repressed by a similarly despotic regime.
2. That the Islamic Republic of Iran represses any attempt to set up independent unions or organise strikes. Beatings, (often unlawful) arrest and torture are routinely used against labour activists.
3. That despite this Iranian workers continue to struggle. September and October 2014 saw important struggles by iron ore, car, ceramics and sugar workers.
4. That Western-imposed economic sanctions against Iran are making the situation for Iranian workers harder, both economically and politically.
The union branch resolves:
1. To circulate information about the campaign to free Shahrokh and Reza to our members in our newsletter and on our website.
2. To encourage members to sign the petition and write to their MP asking them to sign the EDM tabled by John McDonnell MP.
3. To invite a speaker from the Iranian Workers’ Solidarity Network and make a donation of £__.
4. To issue a short statement and organise a video message to show solidarity.